Studying: German exam before university

Refugees are generally allowed to study in Germany. In particular, those who have been granted asylum or have another secure residence status have good chances. “The same conditions apply to you as to other international prospective students,” says the website of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research:
A lot more information can also be found there.
If migrants want to study at a German university, they usually have to prove that they speak German well. However, there are exceptions. If you have a good command of English, you can enrol on an international degree programme or special English-language postgraduate courses. German language skills are also not required for a one to two-semester degree programme. If you would like to study in Germany, you should always seek advice from your nearest university. All universities have an office responsible for international students.
If German is a prerequisite for the chosen degree programme, language skills must be proven with recognised examinations. This has been laid down in a regulation by the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs and university rectors. In addition to the German Language Diploma – Second Level (DSDII) and the German Language Test for University Entrance (DSH), these include the Test of German as a Foreign Language (TestDaF), as the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs states on its website:
Many universities offer the DSH German language test for university entrance. The International Office of the university of your choice will know the dates. The TestDaF language test can also be taken from abroad and is available in more than 100 countries as a paper-based and digital test. On the TestDaF website ( you can find test locations and dates as well as information about the test structure and preparation options.
In the following cases, no language tests are required: Applicants have completed their Abitur at a German grammar school; they have a new Goethe certificate (C2: Higher German Language Diploma) or they have passed the telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule exam.
Applicants from non-EU countries must also have it checked whether their university admission is recognised. If this is not the case, it is possible to qualify for university admission by taking the exam in a special preparatory course.
Further information on the admission requirements for universities:
The website of the German Academic Exchange Service also offers a lot of information about study programmes in Germany:


Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen. Foto: tünews INTERNATIONAL / Mostafa Elyasian.






Related posts

Contact Us

Magazine Html